Friday, March 23, 2007

EYEKU

A few weeks ago I told you all that I had “discovered” haiku after reading Matsuo Bashou’s masterpiece The Narrow Road to Oku. The book inspired me to try my own hand at the ancient poetic art form, though the results were often less than impressive and probably not worthy of being called haiku at all. And so to avoid the wrath of any purists who may happen to chance upon my blog, or any of my poems consisting of roughly 17 syllables, I’ve coined the term eyeku. Therefore, the rules no longer apply to my poems and me, much like the Geneva Conventions and international law don’t apply to Guantanomo Bay and its POW’s—sorry, enemy combatants.

Two days ago, on the spring equinox, I went with Tomoki to one of the biggest shrines in Fukuoka, Miyajidake shrine. It was a fine day; a strong and cool breeze tempered the warmth of the sun’s rays. The first of the cherry blossoms had begun to bloom, and bamboo poles displaying bright banners lined many of the paths that led to the shrine and the gardens and grounds surrounding it. The banners fluttered, and the poles swayed in the breeze, and somehow the two combined to produce a rather eerie sound, prompting Tomoki to comment playfully, “They’re crying.”

Miyajidake shrine was constructed in the 7th century. For me, visiting a place like this always helps to put things into perspective. Fourteen-hundred years of history: I imagine the labourers working together to put the stone steps in place; I wonder at how many people have come and gone over the centuries, at what kind of people they were—peasants, lords, travelling poets like Bashou, wandering swordsmen, regular folk, and the odd curious gaijin or two like me. I wonder at what kind of historical events have taken place there; and then I think of how it has only been about 220 years since Captain Cook and the First Fleet sailed into Botany Bay, to claim that vast expanse of Terra Nullius, which of course we now know as Australia. In the grand scheme of things, and in particular for the aborigines of Australia who have been there for tens of thousands of years, 220 years is nothing but a drop in the bucket. When I look at the state of the aboriginal people today, I can’t help but think what we are seeing is a people still deeply grieving the loss of their land, their way of life, and their independence.

The spring equinox -
At Miyajidake shrine
The bamboo poles cried

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey did you take any photos? I think you should post one of the shirne here.

Magdalene-Sophie said...

(to your 19iken post)..
somehow i'm always confusing people.. :S

i have to come back another time and read this post again, lack of time right now, but feel like commenting :)

take care~

Eyezaku said...

Lach~ photos were taken, but i'll have to check with the boss (Tomoki) to see if I can post 'em.

MS~ arigatou:) take your time.

Kiyotoe said...

when you write about the Japanese experiences you're having, I get so envious. I can't wait to visit.

Japan, not you.......don't want to scare you and think me and Paz were going to show up on your doorstep one day :)

i know you weren't on the list but you make me think too brotha.

paz y amor said...

My brother is always putting my name in something! Grrr. Although going to Japan on a whim wouldn't be so bad would it.

Adam Frazier said...

Very nice

Eyezaku said...

Kiyotoe~ not at all! seriously if you guys ever make it to Fukuoka i'd be happy to show you around all those places most tourists never see.

Paz~ on a whim is how i got here:)

Adam~ cheers!

Unknown said...

Your eyeku is chilling with the thoughts of time ... the ghosts that have been... energies for you to perceive

Eyezaku said...

thanks for stopping by Ann.

Magdalene-Sophie said...

*back*

:)

right now, im feeling something i can't really express in words...

it's something like.. if we were to live in another's life, then we wouldn't see the world only through our own glass..but rather we'd be looking through a kaleidoscope.. (my head's spinning right now, kinda tiring day.. :P)

i don't think i'm making any sense.

:P

Eyezaku said...

making sense is optional:)

if you're saying we should try to look at things from different points of view, i completely agree.

Adam Frazier said...

If you'd like to experience what I'm referencing, just go into my archives and start reading December 2005 - huge month in my life, the following months were the fallout...

Eyezaku said...

i'll do that, Adam. thanks.

Odat said...

Eye, Thanks for the visit...and of course I had to come to see you too ;-)
What a beautiful post...and a great eyeku!!! lol.
Maybe I'll call mine Odatku?
Doesn't have a nice ring to it tho..hehe.
Your country is indeed blessed with so much history...It's no wonder that you felt the way you did...how great!!!

Eyezaku said...

You're welcome Odat:)
Japan isn't actually my country, it's just where i live. i'm Australian.
thanks for coming over and leaving a comment:)
looking forward to your future odatku's!

Magdalene-Sophie said...

I, have a blessed weekend :)

Eyezaku said...

may yours be blessed also, MS:)

[insert name here] said...

thanks for visiting my site :D anywyay, as soon as i get a chancce i will link your site to mine if thats kewl with you...!

Eyezaku said...

that's very kewl, inh. i'll do the same for you:)

Theodore Trumblebunks, I, Esq. said...

Very nice, eyechan. Even if I'm not into all of that frou-frou poetry...

-Theodore Trumblebunks, I, Esq.

Magdalene-Sophie said...

have a blessed Easter, I :)

Eyezaku said...

thanks Teddy! im not into frou frou poetry either. eyeku is far superior;)

you too MS!!

Magdalene-Sophie said...

dear I, how is your trip going? (have you even embarked?) :)

hope you have the best trip yet of your lifetime~! if only i could tag along.. hahaha. but no, i have got other things keeping me behind.
..ah well, bon voyage, monsieur! must tell me all about it :)

Eyezaku said...

haven't gone yet MS. but very soon. this Wednesday. arigato!