Wednesday, March 14, 2007

HAPPY WHITE DAY!!!

Eh? What’s white day, you ask? Well, I’ll tell you in just a moment; but first I must quickly explain about Valentine’s Day here in Japan. On Valentine’s Day females give chocolates and whatnot to their husbands and boyfriends. What’s more, they give them to their male coworkers, too. This is known as giri-choco, or obligation chocolate. The guys are not expected to return the favour. That is, not until White day a month later, on March 14. Japanese guys (if they remember) return the favour by giving gifts of chocolate, marshmallows, and cookies. As an (un)interesting aside, I’ve been told it was started by a local confectionary company here in Hakata in an effort to promote their marshmallows.

Yesterday one of my colleagues, a Canadian guy, getting in a day early, gave our female staff a box of marshmallows. Printed decoratively on the box was a very fine message rivalled perhaps only by those of JT’s ‘Meet Your Delight’ campaign. I loved it so much I copied it down. It reads as follows:

I’ve felt great since I woke up this morning.
I want to give that very special person a delicious treat.
Packet full of how I feel.
I know you’ll be so happy get it!
And show me such a delightful smile.

Amen. Fantastic stuff. And speaking of JT’s sombre yet excellent words of wisdom, I’ll be back later today with the second ever edition of Midweek Meet Your Delight! Till then yoi ichinichi o ne! (Rolls off the tongue, doesn’t it? It means have a nice day.)

eyechan

8 comments:

Magdalene-Sophie said...

Oohlala~

:)

What a nice custom. But scary too, for the girls. I'd love to get marshmellows :D

...imagine them being roasted on a bonfire..melting..ahhhh, the simple pleasures of life.. :)

Eyezaku said...

wow, amazing. i think i must have posted a comment on your blog at the exact same time you were commenting here:)

yeah, scary and expensive.

the simple pleasures indeed:)

Schmoop said...

That is beautiful prose Eyechan. It warmed me like a marshmallow being roasted over an open fire. Cheers!!

Eyezaku said...

good to hear it Matt-man!

paz y amor said...

I love it! A holiday concocted by a company to promote their own products. Smart marketing if I do say so!

Kiyotoe said...

Marshmallows?

that's all?

marshmallows?

it's official, I'm moving to Japan. Can I stay with you old buddy? :)

Eyezaku said...

Paz~ yep Japan is the Mecca of marketing. it's very interesting how they do business over here. giri (obligation)seems to have a lot to do with it. the other day i was in a bar with Masa. the owner of the bar introduced Masa to another customer who happened to be a rep for a sho chu (a kind of alcohol) company. since then all we've been drinking is that sho chu. and i don't think it's because Masa has a particular fondness for it.

Kiyotoe~ anytime mate!

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

What an adorable little tradition.