Friday, March 16, 2007

On the Road Again

I’m excited, people! At work yesterday, I got word that my request for a holiday in May has been approved. For two weeks, starting from 9 May, I’ll be travelling through Korea, China, and Mongolia. Did I mention that I’m excited?


My planned itinerary, as it stands at the moment, looks like this: From the port of Hakata I’ll catch the ferry across to Pusan, Korea. From there I’ll catch a train up to Seoul where I plan to check out, amongst other things, the 38th parallel. After a night and a day in Seoul, I’ll fly to Beijing. This city, which has such a long and fascinating history, and which is readying itself for the Olympics next year, has, obviously, a lot to offer in terms of sightseeing and cultural experiences. On my list of things to do are: a visit to Tian’an Men Square; see the Forbidden Palace; walk along the Great Wall; and, though it’s a little bit out of town, I’d like to see the Shaolin kung-fu monks perform at the Shoalin temple. I also want to travel along part of the Silk Road. Then, after a few days, I’ll catch a train up through the Gobi desert to Ulaan Bataar, the capital of Mongolia. I’ll spend a night or so in the city then head off into the wilderness in search of shamanic nomads and any significant historical sites in connection with Genghis Kahn. Finally, on 24 May, I’ll fly back to Japan. When I get back I expect I’ll have plenty of stories to share with you, and perhaps a haiku or two.

Can’t wait!

eyechan

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful experience and no wonder you're excited. I'm excited, we're all excited. Is Tomoki going with you?
Safe journey.

Adam Frazier said...

Man, sounds awesome! I want to visit japan so bad!

Speaking of, I posted an interesting short story u might like, it's a fan fic of the TV series Heroes, but You don't really need any prior understanding to enjoy it!

Adam Frazier said...

Hey, thanks for commenting!

Yes, I researched it because this rock creature named Uluru was mentioned in a comic book within the television show, and it seems linked to the show in someway - thus my story branching it in.

Thanks for the insight on the Japanese pronunciation though, very cool!

Eyezaku said...

cheers Uncle Mike. no Tomoki won't be coming with me as it's quite difficult for her to get time off work, and if she's to come with me to Australia in november then she can't be taking holidays in may. such is the Japanese work ethic.

Adam~ no worries! but a word of caution with regards to any knowledge i may profess to have of the Japanese language: take it with a sizeable grain of salt:)

Schmoop said...

Let me know if you come across any rocking opium dens. Cheers!!

Eyezaku said...

will do Matt-man!

Magdalene-Sophie said...

oohlala~

come to Malaysia. i'm there :)

(wishful thinking) Lol~

Eyezaku said...

you never know MS, i've always wanted to see that part of the world:)

Sunny Delight said...

It does indeed sound like a wonderful trip! I read your profile...do you enjoy your work?

Eyezaku said...

I love it Sunny! I get to work with people from all over the world and the students come from every different walk of life.

thanks for stopping by!!

Magdalene-Sophie said...

btw, where in Aussie are you from? i was in melbourne for a couple of years :)

Eyezaku said...

really? i'm from Newcastle. newey!! it's roughly two hours north of sydney by car. it's a beautiful place:)

HELP CSS said...

no, not really. i just made it all up :)

Newcastle? nice place, never been there though. only been as far as Sydney. my friend drove all the way from melbourne and it took us 10 hours by car. beautiful ride.

:)

mika said...

im so jealous, bleh. enjoy it, and come home with a really good haiku!:)

Magdalene-Sophie said...

whoops. it's not Help CSS..

HAHA. i forgot to log off that. it's magdalene :)

Anonymous said...

take me with you!

paz y amor said...

Somebody named "Paz" is jealous here. I'm sure if I squeeze myself in tight enough, I could fit in one of your bags! How 'bout it?

Kiyotoe said...

no way you're smuggling Paz through without me. We've been planning a trip to Japan that just seems like it's never gonna happen now so you can understand my level of envy right now. Can't wait to hear your tales of adventure.

Eyezaku said...

MS~ you had me most confused for a second there:)

Mika~ cheers! i'll write a haiku just for you.

Gem~ i've been waiting for you and Lach to come visit.

Paz & Kiyotoe~ sorry fellas people smuggling aint my thing. but if you get your trip to Japan sorted make sure you include Fukuoka/Hakata on your itinerary. i'd be more than happy to show you around:)