Friday, June 15, 2007

Beijing

As the Confucius-sounding saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. Be thankful then that I have for you here 55 photos, not 55,000 words, beautifully written though they would have been. Of course I couldn't resist entirely. And so there are a few notes of explanation scattered throughout.


Marco Polo Bridge. 700 years ago this bridge greatly impressed Mr Polo. Said he: "It is a very fine stone bridge, so fine indeed, that it has very few equals in the world." At the end of the bridge you can see Wanping Fortress.

The 15th century Ming emperor declared that the reflection of the moon at dawn at this bridge was one of the Eight Great Sights of Beijing.


The view from the bridge today


Why does my shadow look so fat?

Wanping Fortress





Scars from Japanese gunfire. The shots that left these marks triggered the second Sino-Japanese war.







Inside the fortress is the small and awkwardly named Museum of the War of Chinese People's Resistance Against Japanese Agression.

It was very uncrowded. Which I think is the norm and perhaps explains why on the bus when I told them my destination they let me ride for free.



These two chaps, posing proudly with their swords, recieved a lot of attention from the Japanese press during the war because of a little friendly competition they had going with each other. Specifically, they were racing to see who could kill the most Chinese, usually by way of beheading. You can see the score on the right.



Some Chinese being buried alive


A very unfriendly-looking device



The Hutongs - these are areas made up of traditional courtyarded houses and labyrinthine streets.

The back of my rickshaw-bike conductor's head. His name was Ryo, which sounds very Japanese to me though he assured me he was not.


Tin box cookin!

A natural in front of the camera

Ryo looking very tough and myself looking somewhat wonky-eyed

I know what you're thinking. And no, we/I did not.






Sadly, a lot of the Hutongs are being torn down in an effort to beautify the city for the Olympics.


Ryo also took me to this little restaurant which he said was famous for its Peking duck. Inside there were a lot of photos on the walls of dignitaries and ambassadors of various nations dining at the restaurant. There was even one of former US Vice President, Al Gore.



Some Peking ducks


The Temple of Heaven







Beihai Park
It was here that Kublai Khan, grandson of Ghenghis Khan, set up HQ during the height of the Mongol empire.


Nowhere near as grand as Newcastle's obelisk



A nice little restaurant I was beckoned into on my way home from Behai Park



I'm assured this is the widest road in the world



The street outside my hotel




The old and the new


Tour group photo outside the entrance to the 13th Ming emperor's tomb


The actual tomb is behind this tower buried under a large mound of earth. I was told that it has never been opened up.




Something old and important




The Wall. How'd they do it?




It's a long way to the top





Tiananmen Square - this is either a bell tower or a drum tower


A shot of the Forbidden City from across Tiananmen Square


Mao keeping watch at the entrance to the Forbidden City (which is no longer forbidden)


Have you seen the Last Emperor?







Next episode: Mongolia

19 comments:

Schmoop said...

Great Pics Eyechan and I am jealous of your travels. Looks like a fan-damn-tas-tic time. Rock on my friend!!

Eyezaku said...

ta Matt-man! likewise!

Odat said...

Hey...Welcome back...
Very impressive pics and such history!
Peace

Anonymous said...

Hey bro, nice photos. Looks like you had pretty damn good weather while you were over there. How was your tour through the hutongs and your guide? Was he anything like Prabaker from Shantaram?

Eyezaku said...

Odat: cheers! it's good to be back. peace to you too!

Lach: yeah except for the first day when the sky was filthy the weather was pretty good. i couldn't say with any confidence that Ryo was like Prabu but he was definitely the nicest/funniest person i met in Beijing. the endless Hutongs (also Beihai Park) were the highlight of Beijing for me. it was just really nice to get away from all the craziness of the tourist hot spots such as Tiananmen and the Forbidden City and to be able to see a different side of the city. it was so quiet and peaceful and there were no other tourists around. the sense of community was palpable and for the short time that i was there i was made to feel right at home.

paz y amor said...

Oh man! You MUST be having the time of your life. Enjoy it, and I'll be back for more lovely pictures!

Eyezaku said...

HAD the time of my life Paz (back in Nippon now). but you'll see in my next post that it wasn't always so great;)

Theodore Trumblebunks, I, Esq. said...

Nice pics, eyechan, except for the whole God-hating commie thing that they have going on there!

-Theodore Trumblebunks, I, Esq.

Eyezaku said...

come on Teddy they're changing. besides, and dont get me wrong im no commie myself, there are some who would say a true communist state has never existed:P

Kiyotoe said...

every time i come here, i get jealous and jealousy is such an ugly thing.

dammit, I wanna be an Australian guy in Beijing!

okay, I'm alright, just have fun for me would 'ya?

Thanks brotha.

Eyezaku said...

will do Dragon-san!

Magdalene-Sophie said...

yes, jealous jealous. :)

you make a pretty good photographer :)

the pictures are awe-inspiring, really.

paz y amor said...

By the way, you got tagged!

Eyezaku said...

well thank you very much MS:)

hot dog! my first tagging! cheers Paz

Anonymous said...

Isaac-wah! helloooooo. awsome photos. why is it call the forbidden city? mum wasnt very clear about it. the wall was amazing "it was built back in the days of emporor Nazi Goreng, to keep the rabbits out. yeah, theres lots of rabbits in China"... bit of an Australian in joke, one day you'll learn, one day. okie dokie take care love gem xxx

Eyezaku said...

hey Gem! it's called the Forbidden City coz it was completely off limits (ie forbidden) to all but the imperial court and dignitaries.

Anonymous said...

Interesting photos!

Eyezaku said...

thanks for stopping by Jessica:)

Anonymous said...

Hello, Neat post. There's a problem with your web site in web explorer, might test this? IE nonetheless is the market chief and a large portion of other folks will leave out your great writing due to this problem.

Also visit my site ... buying a car with bad credit